ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
77°
Cloudy
H 79° L 59°
  • clear-day
    77°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 79° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    62°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 79° L 59°
  • windy-day
    59°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy / Wind. H 63° L 39°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest newscast

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Events Filter

Back
Clear Filters
  • 1
  • 2

The Latest Headlines You Need To Know

  • With a partial government shutdown extending into a fifth week, President Donald Trump on Saturday offered a deal to Democrats on immigration, setting out a plan which provides $5.7 billion for border security measures which he wants – with some of that money going to build a border wall – in exchange for temporary protection for two different classes of immigrants in the United States, items backed by members in both parties. “I am here today to break the logjam,” Mr. Trump said in his speech, as he said his new plan would be voted on next week in the U.S. Senate. “This is a common sense compromise both parties should embrace,” the President added in his remarks from the White House. “Everyone has made their point — now it’s time to make a law,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. “I intend to move to this legislation this week.” 'As a candidate for President I promised I would fix this crisis, and I intend to keep that promise one way or the other,' President Trump says in a national address on border security https://t.co/PkxaI92qXK pic.twitter.com/uK4n43tybw — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 19, 2019 The plan offered by the President has two main compromise items, one is a bipartisan legislative effort known as the “BRIDGE ACT” – would only be a temporary solution for those known as “Dreamers” – offering them a three-year protected status in the United States, but not resolving any question about a longer-term pathway to U.S. citizenship. The President is also offering to extend protections for certain immigrants and refugees who have come to the U.S. under a “Temporary Protected Status” or TPS, and have remained in the United States longer than originally envisioned. That’s a change from last year, when the Trump Administration moved to send back thousands of people to their home countries – Nicaragua, Haiti, El Salvador, and Sudan – ending an extended temporary protection for those who had come to the United States – but a federal court put that move by the President on hold in October. It was the first major offer made by the President since this impasse began before Christmas, as Mr. Trump had previously waved off efforts by some GOP lawmakers to add provisions dealing with DACA and other programs which helped illegal immigrants in the United States. But his Saturday speech did little to sway Democratic leaders in Congress. “It is unlikely that any one of these provisions alone would pass the House, and taken together, they are a non-starter,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, as she and other Democrats said the immigration offers were temporary, while the wall was permanent. “You don’t negotiate a compromise with your own Vice President and your son in law,” said Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI), as Democrats noted there have been no direct talks in almost two weeks. “That’s not how this works.” “No genuine path to citizenship for dreamers, more intransigent insistence on an ineffective, impractical wall—nothing new from Trump today,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT). Democrats were hopeful that @realDonaldTrump was finally willing to re-open government & proceed with a much-needed discussion to protect the border. Unfortunately, reports make clear that his proposal is a compilation of previously rejected initiatives. https://t.co/MFwebWSevG pic.twitter.com/yMTm4iP27h — Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 19, 2019 Republicans said the Democrats should accept the President’s offer, as both sides pointed the shutdown finger of blame at each other on the 29th day of the border security impasse, which began back before Christmas, when Republicans controlled both the House and Senate. “The President has made a very reasonable offer to extend DACA and TPS protections in exchange for the border security measures he supports,” said Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL). “Democrats have yet to make a single legitimate counteroffer throughout the last month the government has been shut down,” said Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA). “This is an important step in the right direction to restart negotiations,” said Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY), who has broken repeatedly with GOP leaders and the White House to vote for Democratic plans to re-open the government. Mr. Trump’s plan also includes: + $800 million in humanitarian aid to deal with an influx of illegal immigrants + $805 million for drug detection efforts at major ports of entry + 2,750 new border agents and other law enforcement personnel + 75 new legal teams of immigration judges #Shutdown can only end through mutual concessions that lead to an agreement. It appears @POTUS will offer concessions this afternoon. I hope Democrats won’t just automatically reject his offer. Demanding his unconditional surrender is not a reasonable position. — Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) January 19, 2019 But the plan also ran into opposition from some voices on the conservative right as well. 100 miles of border wall in exchange for amnestying millions of illegals. So if we grant citizenship to a BILLION foreigners, maybe we can finally get a full border wall. — Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) January 19, 2019
  • Attorneys for a man who spent 14 years in prison before he was released after new evidence was revealed are working to get him money for his time spent behind bars. Clemente Aguirre was released in November and now attorneys have filed a petition to grant him status as a wrongfully incarcerated person so that he is eligible to receive money through the 'Victims of Wrongful Incarceration Compensation Act.'  Aguirre would get $50,000 for each year he wrongfully spent in prison, totaling more than $700,000.  The State Attorney's Office has received the petition. A response has not yet been submitted.  Aguirre’s nightmare began in June of 2004.  He was an undocumented immigrant from Honduras and working as a prep-chef in Heathrow.  Aguirre told investigators he had been drinking the night he walked into his Altamonte Springs neighbors’ home looking for a beer.  Instead, he found wheelchair-bound Carol Bareis and her daughter Cheryl Williams stabbed to death.  Aguirre said he ran out and did not call 911 because he was afraid of being deported.  Aguirre was arrested, convicted and sentenced to death.  The Innocence Project got involved in his case and helped clear him with DNA and new evidence that pointed to another possible suspect: Samantha Williams, the daughter and granddaughter, of the victims.  Williams has not been charged in the case.  Aguirre’s conviction was overturned and before a new trial could begin, prosecutors dropped the charges.  'I thank you for it from the bottom of my heart,' Aguirre said after the November hearing.  In a statement, Aguirre’s attorney Marie-Louise Samuels Parmer said: 'Mr. Aguirre experienced a living nightmare by spending 14+ years incarcerated for crimes that he did not commit. No one can give him back those 5,264 lost days and no amount of money can replace the moments that he lost with his family and friends, or cover over the horrors that he endured on death row. But the Florida Legislature has recognized that those who have been wrongfully incarcerated should be financially compensated. Mr. Aguirre is entitled to compensation under that statute, and his petition is just the next step on the path toward rebuilding his life.
  • In celebration of the Orlando Magic's 30th anniversary, the team distributed $1.2 million in grants Friday to 16 different organizations. The foundation distributed 10 $30,000 grants and three $300,000 grants totaling $1,200,000 to 16 non-profit organizations through the Orlando Magic Youth Foundation (OMYF)in a surprise ceremony at the Amway Center in Orlando.  The foundation raises the money through its annual golf tournaments, auctions held at Magic's game and, this year, a new weekend-long Orlando Wine Festival and Auction to be held March 15-17 at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes. Magic CEO Alex Martins said the fundraising event patterned after successful wine festivals in other cities, could raise several million dollars.   Over the past 29 years, more than $24 million has been distributed to local nonprofit community organizations through the OMYF.   The DeVos family, which owns the Orlando Magic team, pays all the foundation’s administrative costs. The 2019 grant recipients and grants received:  Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida $30,000  Central Florida YMCA $30,000  Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida $30,000  Foundation for Orange County Public Schools $30,000  Advent Health Foundation/Hebni Nutrition Consultants $300,000*  The Gift of Swimming $30,000  Harbor House of Central Florida $30,000  Orlando Ballet $30,000  Orlando Repertory Theatre $30,000  Orlando Science Center/Early Learning Coalition of Osceola County $300,000*  Orlando Shakes (Orlando Shakespeare Theatre) $30,000  Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida/Grace Medical Home, Inc. $300,000*  Valencia College Foundation $30,000
  • After yet another day which featured no hints of progress in ending a funding fight that has to a partial government shutdown taking paychecks away from over 800,000 federal workers, President Donald Trump tweeted on Friday evening that he would make a ‘major announcement’ on Saturday about his push to get money to build a wall along the Mexican border, which has led to an ongoing standoff with Democrats in Congress. “I will be making a major announcement concerning the Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border, and the Shutdown,” the President wrote on Twitter, giving no details about what he might announce. With no indications that Democrats in Congress are ready to give in on their opposition to a border wall, some Republicans have continued to urge the President to declare a ‘national emergency’ under existing laws, and move money around in the military’s budget to build a wall. I will be making a major announcement concerning the Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border, and the Shutdown, tomorrow afternoon at 3 P.M., live from the @WhiteHouse. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 18, 2019 “He ought to go ahead and declare an emergency, and it would be over,” said Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK). “I don’t know why he is reluctant to do that.” Inhofe – who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee – said Thursday that he would not oppose the President dipping into military construction funds to build the wall, though other Republicans have publicly opposed the idea. Democrats on Friday also pressed the Department of Homeland Security on another front – using eminent domain to take land away from landowners, in order to build the way – focusing on a case involving the Catholic Church in Texas, which owns land that the Trump Administration wants. “The federal government must exercise extreme caution when seizing private property,” wrote Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer to the Homeland Security Secretary. To @SecNielsen: The Trump Administration’s lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brownsville, Texas, raises important questions on the exercise of eminent domain to build a border wall. We ask you to respond to these questions by January 31: pic.twitter.com/MXcfoQib9E — Chuck Schumer (@SenSchumer) January 18, 2019 The President has asked for $5.7 billion in border security money for both fencing and a wall; Democrats in Congress have offered $1.6 billion – the original requests of the Trump Administration and Republicans – but Democrats want none of that to go to the wall.
  • Two Florida fifth-graders are accused of plotting to kill an 11-year-old classmate and escape in a golf cart last month. The plot unraveled Dec. 14 at Roberts Elementary School in Tallahassee, where the alleged victim and the accused students, ages 10 and 11, all attend school. A 32-page police report obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat details the plot, which resulted in both students’ suspension and civil citations for conspiracy to commit battery and bringing weapons on school grounds.  The students are also being recommended for expulsion, the Democrat reported.  “This obviously is a very serious matter,” Leon County Superintendent Rocky Hanna said in a statement. “There is zero tolerance in our school system for violence or threats of violence. The individuals who participate in these types of behavior will suffer severe consequences, as (will) these two young boys.” The school’s principal, Kim McFarland, told investigators that the boys “planned and put into effect” a plot to kill their classmate, the Democrat reported.  >> Read more trending news According to the timeline laid out in the police report, one of the accused boys threatened the victim Dec. 10, telling him they would kill him. A few days later, a female classmate told the victim a secret and then went to the two suspected plotters and claimed the victim was spreading rumors about her.  The plotters again threatened the boy, saying they would “take care of him and kill him,” the Democrat reported.  Another student later told police investigators the boys drew a map of where on campus they would take the victim -- an area without security cameras, the newspaper reported. They ultimately changed their mind and planned to take the boy to the school’s garden instead, the police report said.  The day of the planned attack, one of the boys brought a backpack to school with what investigators believe was a murder kit: a wrench, adjustable clamp pliers, a multitool with a 3-inch blade on it and baseball batting gloves. According to police, the student showed the tools to classmates and one of the pair told them “snitches get stitches.” They also told at least one classmate they had the gloves so they would not leave fingerprints, the Democrat reported. They planned to use some of the tools to bust through a gate and flee on a golf cart.  During an after-school program on campus, the boys approached the alleged victim and asked if he wanted to go to the “secret hideout in the garden,” the police report said. He told investigators he refused because other students had told him the boys wanted to hurt him.  The alleged victim went to a teacher supervising the after-school program and told what the boys had planned, the newspaper reported. The boys were taken to the principal, who searched the backpack and found the tools, including the knife. The boys denied wanting to kill the victim, but admitted they planned to beat him up, the Democrat reported.  After the incident, McFarland sent parents an email, which was obtained by WCTV in Tallahassee. “Last Friday there was an incident, with alleged intent to harm a fellow student, that occurred in the afterschool program with a group of 5th grade students who had been developing a plan over a series of days,” McFarland said. “Some of you have reached out with concerns and questions. At this time, I cannot share details, but I can assure that your children are safe and the situation is being handled.” McFarland wrote that she met with the school’s fifth graders to discuss the importance of “see something, say something.”   “Many fifth grade students knew of the potential incident but did not tell teachers or their parents,” the principal said. “We discussed the importance of alerting adults when there is any concern for safety for themselves or their fellow students. Please discuss this with your children. It is imperative they learn this valuable skill now.”